Information and communication technology (ICT) has proved to be a key enabler of many human rights. But there are profound questions about how to respect and protect human rights in the digital age.
IHRB identifies and analyses challenges to human rights arising from the use of ICTs, in particular impacts on freedom of expression and privacy. We recommend actions companies, civil society and governments can take to protect human rights in the digital realm, which in turn affects human rights in the real world.
Our past projects have focused on hate speech in Kenya, global surveillance reforms, cybersecurity exports, the growing ICT sector in Myanmar, and network shutdowns in Pakistan.
IHRB is currently exploring the global phenomenon of ‘Big Data’, which has the potential to do a lot of good but raises concerns about how governments and companies should act responsibly in the collection, storage, processing and sharing of data.
The UDHR was written with pen and paper, not laptops and cloud storage. We need to better understand how our rights can be protected in the digital age.
07 February 2017
- Report: Data Brokers and Human Rights - Big Data, Big Business
- Meeting Report: Safeguarding Rights in the Big Data Revolution
- Report: No Trade Off - How the Free Flow of Data Enhances Trade and Human Rights
- Speech: Childrens Rights and ICTs - Tools of the Trade Workshop
News & Events
07 August 2017
- News: IHRB at the 2016 UN Annual Forum on Business & Human Rights
- News: Five Years On - IHRB Reflects on the State of Business and Human Rights
- Event: Safeguarding Rights in the Big Data Revolution - Wilton Park
- News: IHRB Welcomes Susan Morgan as Research Fellow
Commentary & Podcasts
12 September 2016
- Commentary: The Challenge of Criminalising Hate Speech
- Commentary: Who You Gonna Call? Troll Busters?
- Commentary: We are Losing Sight of Why Protecting Privacy is Important for our Security
- Commentary: What does the UK’s Draft Investigatory Powers Bill mean for ICT companies’ responsibility to respect privacy?
07 November 2016
04 August 2016
15 January 2016