IHRB’s Nairobi Process is an initiative developed in collaboration with the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights. The Nairobi Process engages businesses, government and civil society to collaboratively address key areas of human rights concern in the East African extractive sector and aims to embed human rights due diligence and accountability through application of international and regional standards.
This approach has developed into a quarterly Extractives Sector Forum bringing together businesses and civil society to deliberate on identified human rights concerns. It involves consistent policy and legal analysis of the evolving legal and regulatory framework to engage the Government in strengthening the integration of international and regional human rights standards. Our work also incorporates capacity building of East Africa national human rights institutions and civil society organisations to better engage businesses and governments in achieving corporate accountability.
Kenya’s natural resource extraction should be about shared prosperity.
02 August 2017
- Meeting Report: Land Access and Acquisition for Extractives Projects - Balancing Different Interests
- Meeting Report: Local Content Development in Kenya’s Extractive Sector - Turkana County
- Report: Home Governments Series - The Role of Capital Markets
- Report: Home Governments Series - Innovative New Approaches
15 June 2017 Nairobi, Kenya
- Event: 5th Extractive Sector Forum - Land Access and Acquisition for Extractives Projects
- Event: 4th Extractive Sector Forum - County-Level Local Content Development
- Event: Briefing on the Kenyan National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights
- Event: 2nd Extractives Sector Forum - Stakeholder engagement in the Kenyan Context
22 March 2017
- Podcast: Arnold Kwesiga on Corporate Accountability in Uganda
- Commentary: Five Years On - The UN Guiding Principles in Kenya, a Three Legged Stool
- Commentary: On International Human Rights Defenders’ Day
- Podcast: Alex Buddon on Oil & Gas Companies’ Community Engagement
14 September 2016
26 April 2016
23 March 2016