Commodities take many forms. They are the basis of the world’s natural resources, and form the backbone of much global commerce. IHRB’s focus on commodities centres around the extractives sector, including oil, gas and mining activities. Our work is aimed at improving the governance and operations of the sector to prevent human rights impacts, and to develop options for remedies at each step of the extractives value chain, so that communities, businesses and governments can benefit from natural resource endowments in a balanced and accountable manner.
IHRB supports governments with in-depth analysis of the ways sector-level policy and legal frameworks can better protect human rights. We utilise data-driven tools to model and quantify the human rights impacts of extractive operations. We bring together extractives companies, communities, civil society, national human rights institutions and academia to collectively engage in identifying human rights solutions to key challenges and dilemmas and promote the uptake of global norms on human rights, transparency and governance. IHRB is also working to develop human rights guidance for commodities trading firms.
Natural resource extraction should be about shared prosperity.
02 August 2017
- Meeting Report: Land Access and Acquisition for Extractives Projects - Balancing Different Interests
- Meeting Report: Local Content Development in Kenya’s Extractive Sector - Turkana County
- Report: Home Governments Series - The Role of Capital Markets
- Report: Home Governments Series - Innovative New Approaches
News & Events
07 August 2017
- Event: Institutional Roles and Coordination in Land Access and Acquisition
- Event: 5th Extractive Sector Forum - Land Access and Acquisition for Extractives Projects
- News: Five Years On - IHRB Reflects on the State of Business and Human Rights
- News: IHRB-University of Queensland Sustainable Minerals Institute Partnership on the Extractive Sector
Commentary & Podcasts
07 August 2017
- Commentary: Beyond a Simple Trading of Powers: An Alternative Future for the Global Mining Industry?
- Commentary: Home Government Incentives Toward Responsible Business Conduct
- Commentary: Standing Rock Sioux - A Model for Protection of Planet and its People
- Commentary: From Deal Maker to Diplomat? Business and Human Rights Questions for Rex Tillerson
04 December 2014
10 June 2014
27 April 2011