Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business
IHRB’s work in Myanmar began during 2012 in the context of the newly launched democratic reform process. This led to the joint establishment with the Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR) of the pioneering Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business (MCRB). Based in Yangon, it aims to provide a trusted, impartial forum for dialogue, seminars, and briefings to relevant parties committed to responsible business in Myanmar, as well as access to international expertise and tools.
IHRB and DIHR work closely with MCRB to advance these objectives with Myanmar and international business, government, and civil society. A series of sector wide impact assessments (SWIA) are one flagship resource, which analyses an industry’s human rights risks at multiple levels, based on extensive field-work and desk research. Sectors covered to date include the Oil & Gas, Information Communications Technology, and Tourism, all growth areas in Myanmar. IHRB also contributes numerous other resources in the form of briefing papers, policy submissions, convenings and trainings on a variety of topics relevant to developments in Myanmar.
Responsible business means business activities that work for the long-term interests of Myanmar and all its people.
16 September 2016
- Report: Indigenous Peoples’ Rights and Business in Myanmar
- Submission: 2016 Consultation on Renewing the U.S. Reporting Requirements on Responsible Investment in Burma/Myanmar
- Report: Lawful Interception and Government Access to User Data - Designing a Rights-Respecting Model
- Report: Human Rights Defenders and Business - Searching for Common Ground
News & Events
22 June 2016 London
- Event: Environment is Top Concern for Sustainable Tourism in Ngapali
- News: Pwint Thit Sa - Transparency in Myanmar Enterprises (TiME) Survey 2016
Commentary & Podcasts
16 August 2016
- Commentary: Five Years On - Translating the UN Guiding Principles into Myanmar
- Commentary: On International Human Rights Defenders’ Day
- Commentary: New reports under the US State Department’s Burma reporting requirements underline the importance of thorough due diligence
- Commentary: ICTs and Elections: Tackling Network Shutdowns, Hate Speech and Surveillance in Myanmar
01 September 2015
04 September 2014
25 January 2016