Dignity by Design
The built environment – the places where we live, work, and interact with others – has a defining influence over our ability to lead healthy, fulfilling lives. By 2050, two thirds of the world’s population will live in urban areas. Our efforts to address the world’s major challenges like inequality, mass migration, and climate change hinge in many ways on what we build, where, how, and for whom.
There are implications for human rights at all stages of the built environment lifecycle. From land use, to design, to construction, and re-development, the private and public sectors have a major influence over the built environment. There is a clear need for strategic collaboration and interventions to ensure that the role of the private sector advances, rather than undermines, human rights. IHRB’s is working toward achieving a greater shared understanding of the relationships and leverage between different actors, as well as the amplification and creation of innovative policy and strategies.
Realising a vision of respect for human rights throughout the built environment lifecycle, from planning and financing to demolition and re-use.
21 February 2019
- Report: The Mega-Sporting Event Lifecycle - Embedding Human Rights from Vision to Legacy
- Briefing: OECD National Contact Points and the Construction Sector
- Report: In Search of Policy Coherence - Aligning OECD Infrastructure Advice with Sustainable Development
- Report: Sector-Wide Impact Assessment of the Tourism Sector in Myanmar
29 April 2019
- Event: The History and Future of the Business and Human Rights Movement
- Event: Building Human Dignity into the Heart of Future Cities
- Event: All Party Parliamentary Group Session on Workers in the Construction Sector
- News: Beyond Rana Plaza - Reflections Over the Last Five Years
22 January 2018
- Commentary: New Construction Sector Agreement on Protecting Vulnerable Workers
- Commentary: Q&A on the Stronger Together Construction Initiative
- Podcast: Karamat Ali on the 2012 Pakistan Factory Fire
- Commentary: Protecting Workers Building Sporting Venues – Progress in Qatar
08 June 2016
27 April 2018
24 April 2018