Migrant workers are an ever-present feature of global supply chains. They work in all sectors and all geographies. Low-skilled migrant workers are however amongst the most vulnerable to exploitation and abuse. Compounding this, they are also often among the least able to assert their rights. For many, a lack of viable options to sustain a livelihood at home increases their willingness to accept risks inherent to migrating for work abroad. Much of IHRB’s work in this area is focussed on how workers are recruited and in particular the payment of recruitment fees to secure employment.
IHRB migrant worker initiatives include the:
- Dhaka Principles for Migration with Dignity: A key framework for understanding and addressing the challenges facing migrant workers at every stage of the migration cycle.
- Leadership Group for Responsible Recruitment: A coalition of leading international companies and expert organisations committed to eradiciating the payment of recruitment fees by workers in their supply chains.
- Responsible Recruitment Gateway: Open source tools and resources to support companies in implementing the Employer Pays Principle.
- Staff Wanted Initiative: A programme focussed on the UK hotel industry to promote and protect the rights of hotel workforces.
16 October 2017
- Report: Tackling Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, & Intersex Discrimination - Standards of Conduct for Business
- Report: Launch of the Translated Dhaka Principles in Tokyo, Japan
- Submission: Civil Society Urges Businesses & Governments Put Human Rights at Core of UN Sustainable Development Goals Implementation
- Speech: Collaborative Approaches in the Fight Against Human Trafficking
News & Events
07 August 2017
- News: GE, Mars Inc., Tesco and VINCI Join Leadership Group for Responsible Recruitment
- Event: Annual Leadership Forum for Responsible Recruitment
- News: Research into the Facilities Management Sector Launched
- News: Launch of the Responsible Recruitment Gateway
Commentary & Podcasts
16 October 2017
- Commentary: New Construction Sector Agreement on Protecting Vulnerable Workers
- Commentary: Responsible Recruitment - Turning Principles into Practice
- Commentary: New Guidance to Ensure Ethical Recruitment of Migrant Workers
- Podcast: Andy Hall on Campaigning for Migrant Workers in Thailand
19 June 2017
22 May 2017
24 October 2016